A single recreational kayak weighs 35 pounds (16 kilograms), a tandem kayak 65 pounds (27 kilograms), and fishing kayaks can weigh up to 120 pounds (54 kg). Kayaks often range in weight from 20 pounds (9 kg) to over 100 pounds (45 kg).
Obviously, the weight of your kayak will be determined by your intended use as well as a number of other factors. So, think about your possibilities, because weight is a huge impact in how you use your kayak on a daily basis.
You might not want to tote 50 pounds around by yourself after a long day of paddling. Worse, you may find yourself dragging your fine new kayak across the ground because it is too heavy.
- Weight of a Single Kayak
- Weight of a Fishing Kayak
- Weight of an Inflatable Kayak
- What is the weight of a ten-foot kayak?
- How much does a single kayak weigh?
- Is it true that a lighter kayak is better?
Weight of a Single Kayak
The weight of a single kayak is approximately 35 pounds. Single kayaks typically weigh between 30 and 50 pounds, depending on the materials used in their construction and the equipment included.
A few instances of the weight of a single kayak:
- 26 kilos (12kg) – Prodigy XS Perception Kayaks.
- 35-pound weight (16kg) – Blade 80 Field & Stream Kayaks.
- 36-pound weight (16kg) Trailblazer 100 NXT from Pelican Kayaks.
Weight of a Fishing Kayak
Kayaks for fishing range in weight from 35 pounds on the lightest end of the spectrum to over 120 pounds and up. Fishing kayaks that are heavier, more feature-rich, and more expensive can weigh up to 225 pounds.
To give you an idea of how much a fishing kayak weighs, consider the following:
- Perception Kayaks Sound – 45 pounds (20kg) Fishing Weight: 10.5
- Ocean Kayaks Caper Angler Weight: 47 lbs. (21 kg).
- Pelican Kayaks Strike 120X Angler Weight is 55 pounds (25kg).
- Field & Stream Kayaks 12′ Eagle Run Weight: 60 lbs. (27 kg).
Weight of an Inflatable Kayak
An inflatable kayak typically weighs around 30 pounds. An inflatable kayak can weigh anywhere from around 20 pounds for a low-cost model to well over 50 pounds for a sturdier and more reliable one. It all relies on the quality of the build, the materials used, and the inflated size of the kayak.
To give you an idea of how much an inflatable kayak weighs, consider the following:
- The weight of the Goplus Inflatable Kayak is 18 pounds (8.0kg).
- The weight of the Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak is 26 pounds (12.0 kg).
- The weight of the Advanced Elements SPORT Inflatable Kayak is 26 pounds (12.0 kg).
- The weight of the Drift sun Voyager 2-Person Inflatable Kayak is 27 pounds (12.5kg).
What is the weight of a ten-foot kayak?
A 10-foot fishing kayak built of HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene) weighs roughly 55 pounds on average. A more extensively equipped and broader fishing kayak, on the other hand, can easily reach 120 pounds. These kayaks are designed to be used both sitting and standing.
How much does a single kayak weigh?
Kayaks typically weigh between 20 and 80 pounds, with some approaching – or exceeding – the 100-pound barrier.
Is it true that a lighter kayak is better?
A lighter kayak is easier to carry, put into your automobile (particularly by oneself), and accelerate.